At Heritage Christian Services, the safety of the people we support and of the people we employ always comes first. So, in preparation for possible power outages and flash flooding, we are announcing program closings and offering suggestions for weathering the storm.
- Day programs will close at 2 p.m. and aremain closed Tuesday, They will be open Wednesday. (Be familiar with the closing list.)
- Both the main office and the regional office will close early.
- A Second Thought Resale Shop will be closed Tuesday.
- Sites such as the Pieters Family Life Center and Expressive Beginnings Child Care will post closings via public broadcast and are not expected to close unless there’s power outage or declared state of emergency.
What all support staff should know:
- Telephone numbers of site employees, associate directors and other supervisors. Print them now in case of power loss.
- Addresses and telephone numbers of agency sites, especially those nearby. Print them now in case of power loss.
- Location of medical supplies – including medication, health devices and first-aid kits.
- Location of flashlights, batteries and phones.
How to prepare for a state of emergency:
- Think through an emergency situation in advance, especially know where medical supplies and key contact information are located.
- Fill gas tanks of agency vehicles.
- Stock up on water, food and non-perishable food items.
- Charge cell phones and portable computers.
- During stormy weather or a state of emergency, stay in.
In case of an evacuation:
- Gather medication, related health devices and the medical administration book.
- Bring the Plan of Protective Oversight manual.
- Pack a change of clothes.
- If unable to make it safely to a Heritage Christian site, contact an associate director. The Red Cross has a Website to help you find the nearest shelter: Find an American Red Cross Shelter
In the event of an extended power outage at the HCS Corporate Office in Rochester, systems will power down within an hour. When power is restored at the main office it will take 2-4 hours to bring systems back online.
Homes and day habs may have power but not Internet. Time Warner service may be out and it will be on their timetable to repair. Homes and Dayhabs should be prepared to use paper for Therap, ADP, etc. in the event of an Internet outage.
Landline telephone service at homes and day habs should not be interrupted during a power outage except for cordless phones that plug into power outlets. Please note that the phone system in the HCS offices, Pieters Family Life Center, Expressive Beginnings, etc. will be out of commission during a power outage.
Keep in mind that cell phone service may be spotty in the event of a widespread power outage.
We are recommending that people at the main office(s) and day habs power down their computers before leaving for the day.
Tips for as a storm approaches, emergency supplies, preparation, family response, facts about hurricanes, etc.:
Live hurricane updates and emergency preparedness information:
· www.twitter.com/NYGovCumo, #Sandy
If you seek emergency shelter, click on “Get Assistance” and then “Find Open Shelters” using a zip code or address:
For Heritage Christian agency updates:
*** In the case of an elevated regional emergency, an HCS telephone voice message can be heard at: (585) 340-5784.