Thursday, July 5, 2012

Q&A with Kelly Nash: Raising money for the Legacy Mile & 5K


Kelly Nash, a volunteer coordinator at Heritage Christian Services, is running for 24 hours on treadmill to raise money to support people with developmental disabilities. She starts at 9 a.m. Friday at the Pieters Family Life Center in Henrietta and proceeds go to the Heritage Christian Services Foundation.
1.       How did you get started in running?
I started running about 6 years ago after receiving a postcard in the mail from "Train to End Stroke.”  It was a program through the Stoke Association, I'd raise money and they'd train me to run a marathon.  I wanted to do this in my father's memory. He died after having a massive stroke.
2.       What has been your longest run to date? How long did that take?
My longest run to date is a 12 hour Ultra Marathon.  In the 12 hours I ran 63 miles.
3.       What do you rely on to keep you going?
During long runs I need to have plenty of liquids and carbs, usually gels and sport drinks.
Mentally I need to keep my mind moving and constantly remind myself of how far I've come and visualize how far I can go.
4.       Why is it important to you to challenge yourself?
I am a competitive person, mostly with myself.  It is during times of challenge that I grow, as a person and a runner, and I still feel relatively small ;)
5.       What advice do you have for others who want to try long distance running – or really anything in life that they are going to need to work at for a long time?
Running a marathon is similar to living a faithful life.  The training takes commitment, dedication, discipline and focus and it’s just plain hard at times.  But the reward of achieving a dream is priceless and well worth the effort!
Favorite verse:  Let us run the race before us and never give up! Hebrews 12:1

FUN FACTS
Kelly Nash has raced in 17 marathons, two ultras, 10 5Ks and two 10Ks for a total of 598.4 miles. In her training, she logged 1,150 miles in the first half of 2012.


No comments:

Post a Comment